Thursday 20 October 2011

Shooting Update 19th September 2011 Nelson Farm

Another quick update,arrived at the farm 7.0 pm had a reccy around the buildings using our new nightvision, my mate bought a Yukon Spotter and I bought a Yukon Tracker pair of NV binoculars with a head mount,I quickly found that the head mount was a right pain to use especially trying to alter it in the dark so I just took the binoculars after a quick scan around there were rats everywhere especially under the feed troughs in the cow shed.

After a cuppa we zeroed our scopes and took our positions my mate covered a container in the yard where there were signs of activity,I climbed a small builders type platform ladder that meant I was about eight foot above the cow pens and a cracking vantage point, the binoculars worked very well as a spotter as you had a much wider field of vision compared with my Newton monocular which although better at distance has a lesser field of vision,As I was looking down on the rats as opposed to my normal shooting position which is looking more or less directly at the rat they were less spooked,as I had zeroed my dedicated NV to fifteen yards I was more than confident shooting amongst the cattle who were happily feeding as some of the shots taken were no more than two feet from the cattle, after a four hour shoot we accounted for eighteen rats shot, as the bodies were lying amongst the cattle they unfortunately had to stay there as there is no way I was going to chance picking them up as them horns looked very sharp, anyway the farmer is not really bothered whether or not we pick them up or not as they normally disappear by the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment